Mon., March 06, 2017 at 9:30am
Mon., March 06, 2017 at 4:00pm
Penn State Meats Lab
State College, PA
This workshop, designed for seed-stock sheep and goat producers, will focus on teaching producers how to use performance records as decision making tools through the National Sheep Improvement Program.
Workshop Topics will include:
- Defining and ranking of traits
- How genetic information, estimated breeding values (EBVs), can assist in improving performance traits.
- Selection for parasite resistance in pasture raised sheep and goats.
- Development of breeding objectives and approaches to selection of breeding animals.
- Fecal egg count and live ultrasound demonstrations.
- What is an EBV worth?
- Enrolling and using the NSIP system.
For more information and to register click here. There is no cost to attend, but registration is required by March 3. To speak to one of the organizers, contact Melanie Barkley at the Bedford County Extension office at 814-623-4800.