Tue., March 07, 2017 at 10:00am
Tue., March 07, 2017 at 2:00pm
Penn State Meats Lab
State College, PA
Learn about integrated parasite control strategies as well as how to assess anemia using FAMACHA.
Dr. Anne Zajac, parasitologist from Virginia Tech and Katherine Petersson, animal scientist from the University of Rhode Island will discuss the following topics:
- Small ruminant parasite ID and biology
- Dewormers and drug resistance
- Integrated parasite control practices
- FAMACHA system including hands-on training for detection of anemia associated with barber pole worm infections.
- Updates on USDA Northeast SARE Grant “New Approaches for Improving Integrated Parasite Control for Small Ruminants in the Northeast” and USDA OREI Grant “Forage-based Parasite Control in Sheep and Goats in the Northeast U.S.”
For more information and to register click here. There is no cost to attend, but registration is required by March 3. To speak to one of the organizers, contact Melanie Barkley at the Bedford County Extension office at 814-623-4800.