Once again this year, Operation Evergreen will be sending live Christmas trees to deployed troops. The Vindicator reports that U.S. soldiers in Kuwait will receive about 100 trees grown at tree farms in several counties, including Mahoning, Trumbull and Wayne.
Along with the trees, ornaments, decorations, letters and cards are sent to the troops. Donations from the Ohio Christmas Tree Association pay for the shipping of each tree, according to the newspaper.
For more than two decades, Operation Evergreen has been sharing the Christmas spirit with deployed American troops. Amy Galehouse, of Galehouse Tree Farms in Doylestown, Ohio, coordinates the organization.
More about Operation Evergreen:
- Christmas tree growers continue to send live trees to overseas troops Nov. 20, 2013
- Operation Evergreen begins mission to get Ohio trees to military personnel Nov. 11, 2011
- Operation Evergreen provides Ohio trees to military Oct. 11, 2012
- Operation Evergreen in full swing Nov. 2, 2009
- Operation Evergreen brings a touch of home to the troops Nov. 1, 2007
- Operation Evergreen: Tree donations brighten holiday spirits Nov. 15, 2001
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!