- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup shredded spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, shredded
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts or sunflower seeds, chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1-3/4 to 2 pounds boneless American lamb sirloin roast
In medium skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil; cook onion and garlic over medium heat for 3 minutes. Mix in spinach, basil, sun-dried tomatoes, pine nuts and 1 teaspoon lemon pepper. Cook additional 2 to 3 minutes until spinach is wilted. Mix in feta cheese; set aside. Preheat oven to 325º.
Remove all visible fat from meat; slice halfway through meat down center lengthwise. Cover with plastic wrap, and with meat mallet pound to 1-inch thick. Place filling down center of meat; roll and tie with string at 2-inch intervals. Brush with 1 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon lemon pepper. Place on rack in roasting pan and roast in oven to desired degree of doneness: 145º for medium-rare, 160º for medium or 170º for well-done. Cover and let roast stand 10 minutes before carving. Internal temperature will rise approximately 10 degrees. Servings: 8.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!