- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 1 ripe Avocado, seeded, peeled and mashed
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 (15-oz.) can of unsweetened, puréed pumpkin
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine milk and lemon juice and let stand.
- Spoon flours into dry measuring cups and level with a knife. Whisk together with the baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Combine sugar, egg whites, avocado, vanilla extract and eggs in a large bowl and beat with a hand mixer at a high speed until blended.
- Add milk/lemon juice to sugar mixture.
- Add water and canned pumpkin, beating at a low speed until combined together.
- Add flour mixture to above mixture and beat at a low speed just until combined (don’t over mix).
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Coat two loaf pans (9×5-inch each) with cooking spray.
- Spoon batter into pans and fill half-way. Sprinkle almonds evenly over batter.
- Bake loaves for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans for 10 minutes and then remove from pans and cool on wire rack.
Note: This recipe also can be used to make muffins. When baking in muffin tins, cook for 20 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Yields: 2 Loaves
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!