Submitted by Karen Crain of Cortland, OH
- 3 large cooking apples
- 1 stick of butter
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 large (12 oz) cream cheese cut into small cubes
- 12 to 14 slices of cinnamon bread
- 12 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 2 TBSP vanilla
- cinnamon to taste
- 1 TBSP water
- Peel, core and thinly slice apples.
- Melt butter with brown sugar and 1 TBLS water in a skillet.
- Add apple slices and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Let cool.
- Cut bread into 1 inch cubes and place one-half of them in a greased baking dish 9 x 13.
- Top with cream cheese cubes and apple mixture; then the remaining bread cubes.
- In large bowl beat eggs, milk and vanilla.
- Pour egg mixture over bread making sure to dampen all bread.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Set out at room temp for 1/2 hour before baking.
- Bake at 350° for 45 to 50 minutes, until golden and puffed.
- Cover with foil for the first 30 minutes.