Debbie Flinner of Canton, Oh
- 1 lb. beef boneless chuck, tip or round, cut into 1″ cubes*
- 1 Tbsp. shortening
- 3 cups hot water
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 1 large potato, cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 med. turnip, cut into 1″ pieces
- 2 carrots, cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 celery stalk, cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. bottled brown Bouquet sauce
- 1-1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- Cook and stir beef in shortening in a Dutch oven until beef is brown; about 15 minutes.
- Add 3 cups hot water, 1/2 tsp. salt and pepper and heat until boiling, reduce heat, cover and simmer until beef is almost tender, 2 to 2-1/2 hours.
- Stir in cut up vegetables, Bouquet sauce, 1-1/2 tsp. salt, bouillon cube and bay leaf.
- Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Shake the cold water and flour in a tightly covered container; stir gradually into stew.
- Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.
- Boil and stir 1 minute, reduce heat until ready to serve.
- Serves 5-6.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!