Debbie Flinner of Canton, OH
- 4-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup dried large lima beans
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2-3 Tbsp. flour
- 1-16oz. can whole tomatoes
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 3 med. carrots cut into 2″ pieces
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 15-20 of your favorite 1″ meatballs
- Heat 4-1/2 cups of water and lima beans in a dutch oven to boiling.
- Boil 2 minutes and remove from heat.
- Cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Shake cold water and flour in a covered container, stir gradually into beans. Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in tomatoes (including liquid), celery, carrots, onion, salt, pepper and bay leaf.
- Heat to boiling. Cover and cook in a 375° oven for 1 hour.
- Prepare your meatballs and decrease cooking time to 10 minutes.
- Add meatballs to bean mixture.
- Cover and cook until meatballs are hot, about 30 minutes. Serves 5.