Ingredients for the Pastry (2 tarts):
- 2 1/2 cups gluten free flour
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup ice water (or less)
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp. fine sea salt
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 2 Tbsp. fresh rosemary, chopped
Ingredients for the Toppings:
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup cooked black beans, rinsed and drained
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- fresh rosemary leaves
Directions for the Pastry:
- To make the pastry: Sift the flour into a large bowl, add the shortening, butter, cut with pastry cutter.
- Once crumbles form, transfer dough to a work surface, create a well, and slowly pour in the ice water, a little at a time.
- Continue folding, cutting and adding ice water until dough forms.
- Knead in the seasoning and fresh rosemary for only 3-4 minutes. Do not overwork. Little dots of unincorporated shortening and butter are necessary for lightness. If the dough feels warm or soft, cool in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes.
- Divide the dough into two balls. Wrap each in plastic wrap and keep cool in the fridge before making the tart.
Directions for the Tart:
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lay a sheet of parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- Press one dough ball into a rectangle about one-half inch thick.
- Drizzle with olive oil and scatter with tomatoes, onions, black beans and fresh rosemary. Brush the top with remaining olive oil.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes, until golden. Serves 3 or 4 per tart.