- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, melted
- 1 container (16 ounces) chocolate frosting
- Black Food Color
- Assorted decorations, such as black string licorice, black jelly beans, chocolate wafer cookies, miniature candy-coated chocolate pieces and gum drops
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt in large bowl.
- Set aside.
- Beat sugar and butter in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla; mix well.
- Gradually beat in flour mixture on low speed until well mixed. Add chocolate; mix well.
- Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to 1/8-inch thickness.
- Cut out rounds with 2 1/2-inch round cookie cutter.
- Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until cookies are set.
- Cool on baking sheets 1 minute.
- Remove to wire racks; cool completely.
- Tint frosting black with 1/2 teaspoon black food color.
- Spread onto cooled cookies.
- To decorate cookies to resemble cat faces, use miniature candy-coated chocolate pieces for the eyes, jelly beans for the nose, gum drops for the mouth, string licorice for the whiskers and cut-up chocolate wafers for the ears.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!