- 3 tablespoons nonfat buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons hot pepper sauce such as Frank’s Red Hot, divided
- 3 tablespoons distilled white vinegar divided
- 2 pounds chicken tenders
- 6 tablespoons whole-wheat flour
- 6 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 cups peeled carrot sticks
- 2 cups celery sticks
- Spicy Blue Cheese Dip (recipe follows)
Whisk buttermilk, 2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce and 2 tablespoons vinegar in large bowl until combined. Add chicken; toss to coat. Transfer to refrigerator and let marinate for at least 10 minutes or up to 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, whisk flour and cornmeal in shallow dish. Whisk remaining 1 tablespoon hot sauce and 1 tablespoon vinegar in small bowl. Remove chicken from marinade and roll in flour mixture until evenly coated. (Discard remaining marinade and flour mixture.) Sprinkle both sides of the chicken with cayenne. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the chicken, placing each in a little oil. Cook until golden brown and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to serving platter. Repeat with remaining 1 tablespoon oil and chicken, reducing heat if necessary. Transfer to platter. Drizzle chicken with reserved hot sauce mixture. Serve with carrots, celery and dip.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!