Ingredients for Cupcakes
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 1/4 s semisweet chocolate chips (about 8 ozs.)
- 3 ozs. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 all purpose flour
- 1/3 walnuts, toasted, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Ingredients for Frosting
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 creamy peanut butter (do not use old-fashioned or freshly ground)
- 1/4 (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 teaspoons (approximately) whipping cream, optional
- chocolate shavings or chocolate sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 10 standard muffin cups with paper liners.
- Combine butter, 1/2 cup chocolate chips and unsweetened chocolate in top of double boiler set over simmering water. Stir until mixture is melted and smooth. Remove from over water.
- Whisk both sugars into chocolate mixture; whisk in eggs 1 at a time. Whisk in vanilla, then flour, salt and remaining 3/4 cup chocolate chips.
- Divide batter among prepared muffin cups. Bake cupcakes until a tester inserted into the center comes out with moist crumbs attached, about 20 minutes. Transfer cupcakes to rack and cool completely.
- Put powdered sugar and next 3 ingredients in a medium bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat until mixture is smooth, adding whipping cream by teaspoonsful if frosting is too thick to spread.
- Spread frosting in swirls over the top of cupcakes. Sprinkle with chocolate shavings or chocolate sprinkles. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Store in a single layer in an airtight container at room temperature.) Makes 10-12 cupcakes.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!