- 1 slice bacon, finely chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup brewed strong coffee or espresso
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Coarse salt (kosher or sea) and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Place the bacon and onion in a heavy saucepan cook over medium heat until lightly browned, 3 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and gradually bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat slightly and simmer the sauce until thick and richly flavored, 10 minutes, whisking from time to time.
- Correct the seasoning, adding salt and pepper to taste.