- 2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard (Colemans)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Combine the ingredients in a saucepan and whisk to mix.
- Gradually bring the sauce to a simmer over medium heat, and continue to simmer until thick and flavorful, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl or clean jars; let cool to room temperature.
- Refrigerate until serving time.