Ingredients for the Cheddar Crescent Dough:
- 3 1/2 to 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
- 4 Tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup warm water (120° to 130°F)
- 1/2 cup warm milk (120° to 130°F)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
Ingredients for assembly:
- 36 mini hot dogs or cocktail franks
- 1 egg, beaten
Ingredients for Mustard Dipping Sauce:
- 1/2 cup spicy brown mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- In bowl of electric mixer, add 2 cups flour, sugar, salt and yeast. Mix until well combined. Add butter, warm water, milk and egg. Mix on low speed for 1 minute, scraping bowl. Increase speed to medium and mix for 1 more minute. Scrape bowl. Add more flour 1/4 cup at time until dough is pulling away from sides of mixer. Switch to dough hook and knead on low speed for 5 minutes, or until dough is smooth and springs back when touched. Add 1/2 cup cheddar cheese and knead until incorporated. You can also do this step by hand.
- Butter large bowl. Place dough in bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in warm place for 1 hour, or until dough has doubled in size. You will know that it is ready when you insert your finger into dough and the indentation stays in place.
- Turn dough out onto floured surface. Punch dough down and cut in half. Roll into 12- inch rectangle. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cut into 16 triangle-shaped pieces. Place a hot dog at the end of each and roll up. Let rise while you preheat oven to 350°F.
- Brush tops with egg wash and bake until golden brown, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- While the Pigs in a Blanket are baking, make the Mustard Dipping Sauce. Combine the mustard, honey and thyme until well-mixed and serve alongside Pigs in a Blanket. Refrigerate leftover sauce.