- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour (all purpose)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup milk, non-fat
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Grease 8- or 9-inch square pan.
- Measure cornmeal, flour, sugar, and baking powder into a large mixing bowl.
- Stir to combine ingredients.
- Crack egg into a small bowl and beat with a fork to combine white and yolk.
- Add egg, oil, and milk to flour mixture.
- Mix until ingredients are well blended.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until firm to touch or wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Buttermilk Corn Bread: Use only 2 teaspoons baking powder and add 1/4 teaspoon baking soda. Substitute 1 cup buttermilk for skim milk.
- Whole Wheat Corn Bread: Use 1/2 cup all purpose flour and 1/2 cup whole wheat flour.
- Corn Bread Muffins: Pour batter into prepared muffin cups. Bake 20 minutes at 400 degrees.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!