- 1/4 cup cornmeal (yellow)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup water (boiling)
- 1 package dry yeast (active)
- 1/4 cup water (warm 105 – 115 degrees)
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup rye flour
- 2-3/4 cups flour (all purpose)
- Mix cornmeal, brown sugar, salt and oil with boiling water, cool to lukewarm (105 – 115 degrees).
- Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water; stir into cornmeal mixture.
- Add whole wheat and rye flours and mix well.
- Stir in enough all purpose flour to make dough stiff enough to knead.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface.
- Knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Place dough in lightly oiled bowl, turning oil top.
- Cover with clean towel; let rise in warm place until double, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; turn onto clean surface.
- Cover with clean towel; let rest 10 minutes.
- Shape dough and place in greased 9 x 5 inch pan.
- Cover with clean towel; let rise until almost double, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bake 35 to 45 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped.
- Cover with aluminum foil during baking if bread is browning too quickly.
- Remove bread from pan and cool on wire rack.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!