- 2 pounds of ripe tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 bunch fresh basil, hand torn or 1 tablespoon dried
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 pound linguini (or your favorite pasta)
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Wash and rinse tomatoes.
- Dry tomatoes, then core and cut in half.
- Use a spoon to remove most of the seeds.
- Chop tomatoes coarsely.
- Add chopped tomatoes to a colander, sprinkle with a few pinches of salt and let them sit so they can release some of their water.
- This should only take a half an hour, and can be done ahead of time.
- Combine drained tomatoes, olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest and garlic into a large sauté pan.
- Heat tomato mixture over low heat.
- The idea is to warm the mixture and not cook it.
- Cook and drain pasta according to its directions.
- Combine pasta and tomato mixture together in a bowl.
- Add fresh basil and parmesan to pasta dish.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Serve warm with crusty bread or chill for later.
- This pasta recipe is a great way to enjoy that fresh tomato taste.
- Use this recipe as a side dish or add any seafood to make it a main course.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!