Honey Sausage Sandwich
- 6 croissants, horizontally cut and toasted
- 1/4 cup Honey Butter, recipe below
- 6 each Black Pepper Honey Sausages, recipe below
- 3/4 cup Honey Blueberry Jam, recipe below
- 2 cups baby arugula
Ingredients for Black Pepper Honey Sausage:
- 2 1/2 cups ground pork
- 1 1/4 Tbsp. fresh sage, finely chopped
- 1 1/4 tsp. fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 2/3 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 1/4 tsp. coarse ground black pepper
- 1/3 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/8 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp. clover honey
Ingredients for Honey Blueberry Jam:
Ingredients for Honey Butter:
- For Honey Sausage Sandwich: Sear off and cook the black pepper honey sausage patties on the griddle or skillet. Both sides should be golden brown and the internal temperature should read 160 F. Remove and transfer to a sheet tray. Set aside momentarily. Toast croissant tops and bases until lightly golden brown. Once toasted, spread 2 tsp. of honey butter on the base of each croissant. Add 1 sausage patty to the base of each croissant. Top each sausage patty with 2 tablespoons of honey blueberry jam. Spread out the jam to cover the patty. Place 1/2 cup of arugula on top of the jam on each sandwich. Add a croissant top to each sandwich and gently press down. Serve immediately.
- For Black Pepper Honey Sausage: Add ground pork, sage, thyme, red pepper, nutmeg, black pepper, smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt, and honey to a medium-sized bowl. Fold together ingredients to form a homogenous mixture, ensuring the spices and herbs are evenly distributed within the pork. Be sure not to over-mix, for it will make the sausage tough. Form sausage mix into round patties, creating 6 total. Store covered under refrigeration until needed.
- For Honey Blueberry Jam: Add the frozen wild blueberries and clover honey to a small saucepan. Place on a burner set to medium heat. Allow the mixture to come to a boil. Once a boil has been reached, reduce the heat and bring the mixture to a gentle simmer. Cook the mixture for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the saucepan from the heat once the mixture has become thick and the majority of the liquid is gone. The texture should be like that of pudding. Lightly mash the wild blueberries in the saucepan with a fork. Add the lemon juice to the saucepan and mix to combine. Transfer the jam to a heat safe container and cool uncovered until it has reached room temperature. Store covered under refrigeration until needed.
- For Honey Butter: Add the salted butter and clover honey to a medium bowl. Whip on medium speed for 2 minutes or until light and fluffy.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!