- 1/2 teaspoon crumbled, dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon crumbled, dried thyme
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1 small rib of celery including the leaves, minced
- 1 carrot, grated coarsely
- 2 cups unsalted chicken broth or stock (fresh or canned)
- 2 1/2 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, minced
- In a small dry skillet toast the rosemary and thyme until fragrant, do not burn.
- Shake the skillet and heat for about 3 minutes.
- Set aside.
- In a large saucepan sauté the onion, celery and carrots in olive oil over moderately low heat for about 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the broth or stock and bring to a boil.
- Break potatoes up with a fork.
- Using a wire whisk, add potatoes a half cup at a time.
- Continue whisking until smooth, reduce to a simmer and add toasted herbs, lemon juice and fresh parsley.
- Taste soup and add salt and black pepper if desired.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!