Ingredients for the Cupcakes:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups Sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped
- 1 cup toasted coconut
Ingredients for the Meringue Frosting:
- 4 egg whites
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Pinch salt
Directions for the Cupcakes:
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line standard muffin tins with 24 paper liners.
- In a mixing bowl fitted with the paddle attachment, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add butter to dry ingredients, mixing until butter disperses evenly and mixture resembles cornmeal.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, milk, vanilla extract and vanilla bean seeds. Slowly add to dry ingredients, mixing until well blended.
- Spoon batter into paper liners. Bake 12-15 minutes or until top of cupcakes spring back when touched and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in tins 5 minutes; remove from tins and cool completely on a wire rack.
- When cupcakes have cooled, fill a pastry bag with meringue frosting.
- With an inverted pastry tip or apple corer, cut a hole out of the middle of each cupcake from the top.
- Fill holes and frost cupcakes with meringue frosting.
- With a kitchen torch, toast frosting until lightly browned; sprinkle with toasted coconut.
Directions for the Meringue Frosting:
- In a medium, heat-proof bowl, mix together all ingredients. Over a pot of boiling water, whisk mixture until it appears foamy and reaches 165°F on a candy thermometer. Transfer to a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and beat until cool.
Makes 24 cupcakes