- 1 each green and red bell pepper, stems and seeds removed, cut into 1-1/4-inch pieces
- 1 yellow squash, cut lengthwise in half and then into 1-1/4-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat vinaigrette-style Caesar salad dressing, divided
- 1 pound 90% lean ground beef
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup quick or old fashioned oats, uncooked
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)
If using bamboo skewers, soak skewers in water. In medium bowl, toss vegetable pieces with 2 tablespoons dressing; set aside. In large bowl, combine ground beef, egg, oats, milk, onion, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape mixture into 20 meatballs, about 1-1/2 inches in diameter. Alternately thread meatballs and vegetables onto eight 12-inch bamboo or metal skewers. Arrange kabobs on broiler pan that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Drizzle with any dressing remaining in medium bowl. Broil 3 to 4 inches from heat, until meatballs are cooked through (160ºF) and vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes, turning once and brushing with remaining 2 tablespoons dressing. Serve kabobs sprinkled with cheese, if desired.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!