- 1/2 lb. lean boiled beef, chopped
- 1/2 lb. beef suet, chopped (kidney suet best)
- 3 3/4 lbs. raw apples, pared and chopped
- 1/2 lb. currants
- 1 lb. seeded raisins, chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 oz. each, candied orange rind, lemon rind and citron, chopped
- grated rind of 2 lemons or oranges
- 5 cups brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 5 cups cider
Combine all ingredient in the order given in large, heavy pan; simmer very gently 2 hours; stirring occasionally. When cold, turn into jars, cover tightly, and keep in cool, dry place. This will keep 6 months. Sufficient for five 9-inch pies.
If you want brandy or sherry, it can be poured through slits in top crust for added flavor. Lattice pies work best for this. Use 3 tablespoons of liquid. Allow to sit 3 or 4 minutes.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!