- 3 quarts finely chopped cucumbers
- 3 cups finely chopped green peppers
- 3 cups finely chopped red peppers
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 3/4 cup canning or pickling salt
- 4 cups ice
- 8 cups water
- 4 teaspoons each mustard seed, turmeric, whole allspice and whole cloves
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 cups white vinegar (5 percent acidity)
- Yield: about 9 pints or 18 half-pints
- Procedure: Add cucumbers, peppers, onions, salt and ice to water and let stand 4 hours.
- Drain and re-cover vegetables with fresh ice water for another hour.
- Drain again.
- Combine spices in a spice or cheesecloth bag.
- Add spices to sugar and vinegar.
- Heat to boiling and pour mixture over vegetables.
- Cover and refrigerate 24 hours.
- Heat pickle mixture to boiling and fill hot into clean jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace.
- Remove air bubbles.
- Wipe jar rims.
- Adjust lids.
- Process pints or half-pints in a boiling water bath canner for 15 minutes at 6,000 feet or less; 20 minutes above 6,000 feet.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!