- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, cut into small dice
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 4 pita breads, 6-inch size, several days old, torn into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 6 scallions, trimmed, sliced thin, including 2-inches of green
- 1/4 cup minced fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro or parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice (from 2 large lemons)
Heat oven to 375°. Place cucumber in colander; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Place weight (such as a large zip-lock bag filled with water) over cucumbers; drain to release most of moisture, about 30 minutes. Rinse and pat dry. Place bread pieces on baking sheet; bake until crisp but not browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to large bowl; add cucumber, tomatoes, scallions and herbs, and toss well. In small bowl, combine oil, lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Add to large bowl, toss again and serve immediately. Serves 6.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!