- 1 (1/4 oz.) pkg. active dry yeast
- 3/4 warm water (110° to 115°)
- 4 1/2 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1/2 whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 1/2 teaspoons pizza sauce
- 3/4 pepperoni, chopped
- 1/2 shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 shredded Mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons onion, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon each, chopped ripe olives, chopped stuffed olives and chopped canned mushrooms (optional) OR fillings of your choice
In large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in honey and milk powder until well blended. In small bowl, combine 1 cup bread flour, whole wheat flour and seasonings. Add to yeast mixture; beat until smooth. Stir in pizza sauce. Stir in enough remaining bread flour to form soft dough. Turn onto floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6 to 8 minutes. Place in greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover; let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down. Turn onto lightly floured surface; roll into 14 x 12-inch rectangle. Sprinkle pepperoni, 1/4 cup Cheddar cheese, Parmesan cheese, 2 tablespoons Mozzarella cheese and any chopped fillings to within 1/2 inch of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with long side; pinch seam to seal and tuck ends under. Place seam side down on greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise 45 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheeses. Bake at 350° 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Remove from pan to wire rack. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Makes 1 loaf.
Bakery Owner, Oxford, Michigan
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!