- 1 1/2 s all-purpose flour
- 1 sugar
- 1/4 cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 water
- 1/4 plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Broiled Topping:
- 1/4 (1/2 stick) butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 coarsely chopped nuts
- 1/2 sweetened coconut flakes
- 3 tablespoons light cream or evaporated milk
Heat oven to 350°. Grease and flour 8-inch square baking pan. In large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Add water, oil, vinegar and vanilla; beat with spoon or whisk just until batter is smooth and ingredients are well-blended. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake in 350° oven 35 to 40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Meanwhile, prepare broiled topping; spread on warm cake. Set oven to broil; place cake about 4 inches from heat. Broil 3 minutes or until top is bubbly and golden brown. Remove from oven. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
In small bowl, stir together all ingredients until well-blended.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!