- 1 lb. top round or beef loin roast, all visible fat discarded, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 package baby carrots
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1 tsp. jarred, minced garlic
- 2 small potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp. whole-wheat flour
- Sauerbraten is a German style beef stew that’s cooked in a vinegar sauce with warm spices.
- Start by adding beef, onion, broth, vinegar, celery, garlic, carrots and potatoes to slow cooker.
- Cover and cook over low setting for 8-10 hours, or over high setting for 3-4 hours.
- Add brown sugar, ginger, nutmeg and flour to cooker, stir and turn to high heat.
- cook for 30 minutes more.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!