- 6 pounds tomatoes (about 12 large)
- 9 dried hot chilies, seeds removed
- 15 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 s diced red onion
- 6 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 1/2 s chopped cilantro, packed tightly
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon dried red chili flakes
- 3/4 red wine vinegar, 5% acidity
Peel, seed and dice tomatoes into 1/4-inch size pieces. Place chilies in small bowl. Pour boiling water over chilies just to cover. Secure plastic wrap over bowl and allow peppers to steep for 15 minutes. Drain half the water from chilies. Puree chilies and remaining water in blender for 1 minute or until smooth. Combine all ingredients in large saucepot. Bring mixture to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes or until mixture has thickened. Carefully ladle hot salsa into hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles with nonmetallic spatula. Wipe rim and threads of jar with clean damp cloth. Place lid on jar with sealing compound next to glass. Screw band down evenly and firmly just until point of resistance is met & fingertip tight.
Process 15 minutes in boiling-water canner.
Yield: about 6 pints.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!