- 3 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1 cloves garlic, minced and divided
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 large bell peppers
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated and divided
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese, grated (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- In a pot, combine tomatoes, tomato paste, 1/2 clove of minced garlic, Italian seasoning, onion powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered for 30 to 45 minutes. (You can use 1 1/2 cups spaghetti or marinara sauce instead of making your own sauce.)
- Meanwhile, cover the bottom of a baking dish with water. Cut the tops off the peppers and clean out the seeds and membranes. Place the peppers in the baking dish.
- Grease a pan with the olive oil. Brown the ground beef with the onion and 1/2 clove of minced garlic. Season with salt, pepper and a dash of Italian seasoning. Drain the excess fat.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese and 1/4 cup sauce. Mix the beef mixture, rice, the remaining Parmesan and sauce in a bowl.
- Stuff an equal amount of the filling in each pepper. Top with a tablespoon of sauce and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. Bake for 25 minutes.
- If desired, top with shredded Mozzarella cheese and return to oven until the cheese is melted.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!