- 1 1/2 pounds Ground Beef Crumbles
- 1/2 cup onion, raw
- 9 sweet potatoes (cooked)
- 3 ounces carrots, raw
- 3/4 cup Celery, Raw
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cumin, ground
- 1 3/4 teaspoons Cinnamon, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper, black, ground
- 1 dash Salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Fill medium saucepan half full with water and heat.
- Wash the sweet potatoes thoroughly with a brush and place in pot with water. Bring the water to a boil and cook the sweet potatoes until tender. If a steamer is available you may place sweet potatoes in a perforated pan and steam for 22 minutes or until tender. Once cooked remove from boiling water or steamer and set aside to cool. Canned sweet potatoes may be used in place of fresh.
- In the meantime, peel and dice carrots and onions into ¼” size pieces. Clean the celery stalks and dice into 1/4″ pieces.
- Heat oil in large skillet or frying pan. Sauté all the vegetables together. Add salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Remove the vegetables and combine thoroughly with beef crumbles and add the ground cumin.
- Place the meat mixture in a large baking dish, making sure the meat is layered evenly, about 2 in.
- Once the sweet potatoes are cooled down, peel skins off carefully using gloves. Place the peeled potatoes in a mixing bowl and mash into a smooth consistency. If a mixture is available use the whisk attachment and start on the low speed and increase speed until potatoes become smooth. Season with cinnamon. If needed, add oil to the potatoes to make the puree smoother.
- Top the ground beef mixer with the mashed sweet potato mixture and spread evenly. The layer of the mashed sweet potatoes should be as thick as the meat mixture layer, 2 inches
- Cover with aluminum foil or lid and bake for 30 minutes. Internal temperature should be 145 degrees if using precooked beef crumble.
- Cut in squares, 6 per pan, and serve hot.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!