- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 (8 oz.) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (4 oz.) can whole green chilies, drained, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro or parsley, minced
- 1 teaspoon Mexican-style hot chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8 oz.) pkg. taco flavor tortilla chips, broken
- 1 (4 ozs.) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 1/2 s chicken or turkey cooked, chopped
- 3/4 dairy sour cream
- 1/2 (2 ozs.) shredded Cheddar cheese
- fresh cilantro or parsley, if desired
Preheat oven to 350°. In large skillet, saute onion in butter 3 to 4 minutes or until lightly browned. Add tomato sauce, chilies, cilantro, chili powder and salt. Simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Layer half the following ingredients in buttered 1 1/2 quart casserole in this order; tortilla chips, Monterey Jack cheese, chicken and tomato sauce mixture; repeat layers. Bake 25 minutes. Remove from oven; spread sour cream over top of casserole. Sprinkle with Cheddar cheese. Return to oven 5 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Garnish with fresh cilantro or parsley.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!