- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, with liquid
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
- 8 1/4-inch-thick slices crusty Italian bread
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- ½ cup oil-packed sun- dried tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups (8 ounces) Fontina cheese, grated
- Heat olive oil in small skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and red pepper; cook until garlic is soft and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add beans to pan with rosemary, salt and black pepper to taste. Bring to simmer and cook 3 minutes. Remove from heat and cool briefly. Place bean mixture in work bowl of food processor along with Parmesan. Process to form chunky puree, about 30 seconds.
- To assemble sandwiches, lay bread slices on work surface. Spread one side of each slice with butter and turn over. Spread bean mixture equally over 4 bread slices; distribute tomatoes over bean mixture followed by Fontina. Place remaining bread slices on top, butter-side-up and press together gently.
- Preheat non-stick griddle pan over medium-high heat. Place sandwiches, butter-side down, on pan, in 2 batches if necessary. Press down with heavy skillet or sandwich press. Cook until golden brown and crisp; 2-3 minutes. Flip sandwiches with spatula and repeat on other side. When both sides are golden brown and cheese has melted, remove from pan. Slice each sandwich in half with serrated knife. Serve hot. Makes 4.