Old-Fashioned Lemon Bread
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup (5 fl.-ounce can) evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup olive or vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel (about 1 lemon, reserve lemon for later use)
- Lemon syrup (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Grease and flour 8 by 4-inch baking pan.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl.
- Beat eggs, evaporated milk, oil and lemon zest together in medium bowl.
- Pour egg mixture into flour mixture.
- Stir until just combined.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until wooden skewer inserted in center comes out clean.
- Using the skewer, poke numerous holes in the hot bread, piercing all the way to the bottom.
- Slowly drizzle the hot Lemon Syrup over the bread (Syrup will soak into the bread).
- Cool on wire rack for 15 minutes; run knife around edge of bread.
- Remove bread to wire rack to cool completely.
- Lemon Syrup: Combine 1/3 cup granulated sugar and 1/4 cup lemon juice (1 lemon) in small, heavy-duty saucepan.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes or until sugar is dissolved and a light syrup is formed.
Get our Top Stories in Your Inbox