COLUMBUS – Ohio’s fields and forests are bursting into bloom as the state’s 2,300 species of spring wildflowers begin their annual show of colors, according to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources.
Warmer temperatures and (most importantly) lengthening hours of sunlight trigger the annual phenomena, drawing thousands of outdoor enthusiasts to Ohio’s state parks and nature preserves.
Wildflower events. Here’s a list of the wildflower-related events slated for coming months:
* April 19, spring wildflower and wild bird walk at Blue Rock State Park in Muskingum County, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Meet at the dam. Details, 740-674-4794.
* April 19, wildflower walk at Lake Hope State Park in Vinton County, 10 a.m. to noon. Meet at the Hope Furnace parking lot. Details, 740-596-5253
* April 19, 26, 27, spring wildflower walk at Malabar Farm State Park in Richland County, 10 a.m. to noon. Details, 419-892-2784. The events April 26-27 are part of the Mohican Wildlife Weekend and require preregistration at Mohican State Park Lodge at 419-836-1466.
* April 19, waterfall and wildflower hike at Hocking Hills State Park in Hocking County, 10 a.m. Meet at the Ash Cave parking lot. Details, 740-385-6841.
* April 25-27, Mohican Wildlife Weekend at Mohican and Malabar Farm state parks in Richland and Ashland counties. Registration is required for some programs. Details, 419-994-4290.
More events. April 26, birds and buds at Van Buren State Park in Hancock County, 1-4 p.m. Details, 419-832-7662.
* April 26, spring wildflower hike at Hueston Woods State Park in Preble County, 1 p.m. Meet at the Nature Center. Details, 513-523-6347.
* May 3, spring wildflower hike at Lake White State Park in Pike County, 10 a.m. to noon. Meet in the main parking lot. Details, 740-493-2212.
* May 10, Lakeside Daisy open house at Lakeside Daisy State Nature Preserve in Ottawa County, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Details, 419-981-6319.
* May 10, spring tonic time at Van Buren State Park in Hancock County, 1-4 p.m. Meet at the nature center. Details, 419-832-7662.
* May 10, spring tonic time at Mary Jane Thurston State Park in Wood County: 10 a.m. to noon. Meet at the park office. Details, 419-832-7662.
* May 17, spring wildflower hike at Pike Lake State Park in Pike County, 10 a.m. to noon. Meet at the amphitheater. A hayride and movie are set for 7 p.m. at the park. Details, 740-493-2212.
* May 16-18, springtime in the park at Rocky Fork State Park in Highland County. Details, 937-393-4284.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!