Ingredients for the Pie Crust:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold
- 2 tablespoons water, ice cold
Ingredients for the Pie Filling:
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3 large bananas
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cups whipped cream
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
Directions for the Pie Crust:
- Whisk together flour, salt and sugar in large bowl. Cube butter and add to flour mixture. Use pastry blender or 2 forks to cut butter into dry ingredients until pea-sized pieces of butter are scattered throughout. Add ice cold water 1 tablespoon at a time until dough starts to form into ball. Turn dough out onto work surface and knead briefly until consistent dough is formed. Shape dough into 2 flat disks. Wrap disks in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Roll dough disk into 12-inch circle. Press dough evenly into bottom and up sides of 9-inch pie plate. Cover dough with sheet of foil and arrange pie weights on foil. Bake 20 minutes or until pie crust edge is lightly browned. Remove pie weights and foil. Cool completely.
Directions for the Pie Filling:
- Combine milk, cornstarch, sugar, salt, eggs and butter in heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to boil, whisking constantly. Cook until mixture thickens, then remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Whisk in cream cheese a little at a time until completely melted and incorporated. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Slice bananas and place in bowl. Add lemon juice and toss to coat the slices (this prevents the bananas from turning brown).
- Arrange 2/3 of the bananas in the bottom of the pie plate. Pour the cream custard mixture over bananas and smooth with back of spatula. Chill 2 hours, or until custard filling is set.
- Spread whipped cream onto center of chilled pie and top with remaining banana slices. Scatter sliced almonds over entire pie. Serve chilled.
- Store pie loosely covered in plastic wrap in the refrigerator.
Directions to Assemble:
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!