- 1/4 cup red onion sliced very thin
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 lb fresh asparagus spears trimmed
- 3 cups fresh arugula (can substitute spinach)
- 2 tbsp fresh mint minced
- 3 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- To pickle onions, combine onion and vinegar in a small bowl. Cover and let stand at room temperate for at least 30 minutes or in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
- Pre-heat oven to 400 °F.
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, place the trimmed asparagus in a single layer. Drizzle asparagus spears with 1 tablespoon olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Roast asparagus for 15-20 minutes (until tender crisp).
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine arugula and mint. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the onions to the mixture.
- Pour 3 tablespoons of the vinegar from the onion bowl into a small screw top jar. Add oil, salt and pepper. Cover and shake well.
- Add cooled asparagus spears to the salad and drizzle vinegar mixture over the salad, toss gently to coat. Serve immediately.
Note: If you have thin asparagus spears, leave them whole. If the spears are thick, cut them into 1 inch chunks.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!