- 8 ozs. ground beef top round
- 6 fresh spinach leaves
- 1 whole wheat pita bread, halved
- 2 tablespoons plain low fat yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 1/2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
- 1 1/2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon curry powder, (optional)
In large non-stick skillet, combine ground beef, garlic cloves and crushed red pepper. Cook it over medium heat until it is browned, stirring to crumble beef. Drain in colander, discard drippings. Wipe skillet dry with paper towel. Return beef mixture to skillet; add chopped spinach, spices and salt; and stir well. Cover and cook over medium heat 3 minutes or just until spinach has wilted; remove from heat. Spoon 1/2 cup of beef mixture into each pita half lined with whole spinach leaves. Mix yogurt with the curry powder if desired. Top each pita half with 1 tablespoon of yogurt.
(Serves 2) Keep pita pockets cool until serving. Wrap them up and slip them into picnic basket or backpack to enjoy on your outdoor dining adventure.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!