- Vegetable oil spray
- 3 pounds center-cut beef shank, all visible fat removed
- 2 quarts water
- 1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 s peeled and diced potatoes
- 1 thickly sliced celery
- 1 1/4 s peeled and thickly sliced carrots
- 3 tablespoons uncooked pearled barley
- 2 teaspoons thyme
Preheat broiler. Lightly spray a broiler pan with vegetable oil spray.
Place beef on prepared pan and place pan in broiler. Broil meat 5 minutes on each side, or until thoroughly browned.
In large stockpot, combine meat, water, onion, bay leaf, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook 3 hours, or until meat is tender. Remove meat from pot and set aside. Strain broth and skim off fat. Cut meat into pieces.
Place strained broth, meat and remaining ingredients in stockpot and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20 to 25 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Serve hot.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!