- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup peanuts or pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Grease a large cookie sheet. Set aside.
- In heavy 2 quart saucepan, over medium heat, bring sugar, corn syrup, salt, and water to a boil. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Stir in peanuts. Set candy thermometer in place, and continue cooking. Stir frequently until temperature reaches 300°, or until a small amount of mixture dropped into very cold water separates into hard and brittle threads.
- Remove from heat; immediately stir in butter or margarine and baking soda; pour at once onto cookie sheet.
- With 2 forks, lift and pull peanut mixture into rectangle about 14×12 inches; cool. Snap candy into pieces.
Tip: Have all ingredients for this recipe measured out and ready. This recipe requires that you react quickly. You do not have time to measure ingredients in between steps.
Yield: Makes about 1 pound.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!