- 1 frozen deep dish pie crust (from 12-oz package)
- 1/4 butter or margarine
- 1/2 granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 s Granny Smith apples, sliced, peeled (5 medium)
- 1/2 all-purpose flour
- 1/4 granulated sugar
- 1/4 brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cold butter
- 1/2 whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Ingredients for Streusel
Ingredients for Topping:
- Place cookie sheet on oven rack. Heat oven to 400°.
- In 1-quart saucepan, cook 1/4 cup butter over medium heat until melted and lightly browned, stirring constantly. Cool completely, about 15 minutes.
- In large bowl, beat 1/2 cup granulated sugar and egg with wire whisk until light and fluffy. Beat in 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat in cooled butter. Gently stir in apples. Pour into frozen pie crust.
- In medium bowl, stir together all streusel ingredients except butter. With pastry blender or fork, cut in 1/4 cup butter until mixture looks like coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over apples. Place pie on cookie sheet in oven. Bake 20 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°, and cover edge of crust with strips of foil to prevent excessive browning. Bake 40 to 50 minutes longer or until apples are tender and crust is golden brown. Cool 2 hours.
- In small bowl, beat whipping cream until soft peaks form. Add remaining topping ingredients; beat until stiff peaks form. Pipe or spoon onto pie.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!