- 1 large head of cabbage
- 2 cups sandwich bread, torn into pieces
- 1 cup milk
- 1 pound fresh ground pork
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup chopped green peppers plus 5 or 6 thin slices
- 1/4 cup chopped red peppers plus 5 or 6 thin slices
- 1/2 cup green onions
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 tablespoon Panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped Jalapeno peppers
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pepper
- 2 small tomatoes sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large stock pot bring 4 or 5 quarts of water to a boil (enough to cover the head of cabbage); add 2 teaspoons salt. Place a head of cabbage into the boiling water for 2 minutes. Remove and rinse under cold water till cool. Repeat with the second head of cabbage if using. Pull large outer leaves off each head and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl soak the bread pieces and milk for 1-2 minutes. Add the ground pork, egg, chopped peppers, onion, half of the cheese, Panko crumbs, chopped Jalapeno pepper, cilantro, cumin, salt and pepper. Mix together with hands or a large spatula till well blended. Note: Mixture should be wet but still hold together. Add 1-2 tablespoons Panko if necessary.
- Place several large spoonfuls of the meat mixture on the cabbage leaves and roll; place seam side down in a 14×16 inch glass baking dish sprayed with vegetable oil. Depending on the size of the leaves you should have between 10-12 rolls. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 55-60 minutes.
- Remove the foil and sprinkle some of the cheese on top of the rolls; add the sliced peppers and tomatoes; finish with more cheese. Return the uncovered dish to the oven and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes until peppers and tomatoes are soft and cheese is melted.
- Serve garnished with additional cilantro, if desired.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!