- 1 box (16 oz) angel food cake mix
- 1 1/4 cups cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon red paste food color
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup finely crushed soft peppermint candies
- Move oven rack to lowest position. Heat oven to 350°F.
- In extra-large bowl, beat cake mix and cold water.
- Pour about 3 cups batter into ungreased 10-inch angel food cake pan.
- In small bowl, pour about 3/4 cup batter; stir in food color and peppermint extract until blended.
- Carefully spoon red batter over white batter in pan, then spoon remaining white batter over red batter and swirl with knife.
- Bake 40 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately turn pan upside down onto heatproof funnel or bottle. Cool completely, about 2 hours.
- Loosen cake by running long metal spatula along edge of pan. Place serving plate upside down on pan. Turn plate and pan over; remove pan.
- In small bowl, mix powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon milk; stir in enough remaining milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, until thin enough to drizzle.
- Drizzle over cake; top with crushed candies.