- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 quart 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 package (16 oz.) frozen corn, thawed
- 1 can (14 oz.) chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup cornstarch dissolved in 3 tablespoons water
- 1/3 cup lightly packed cilantro leaves, chopped thinly sliced green onions, for garnish (optional)
- In a 3-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook until soft, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a 2-quart microwaveable measuring cup or dish, cook milk in microwave on high about 9 minutes or until hot; cover to keep warm *.
- Add sugar to onion; cook, stirring frequently, until light brown, about 7 minutes.
- Set aside 1 cup corn; add remaining corn, broth, and pepper to onions; bring to boil.
- Add cornstarch mixture; cook and stir 2 minutes.
- Pour into food processor, in batches if necessary; process until almost smooth.
- Return to pan; add reserved corn, heated milk and cilantro.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until heated through.
- Garnish with green onions if desired.
- Makes 8 cups/6 servings
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!