Cheesy Beehive Buns
Ingredients for Buns:
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 Tbsp. wildflower honey
- 2 tsp. instant yeast
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp. cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sharp cheddar cheese, finely grated
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, finely grated
- 1 whole egg
- 1 Tbsp. water, whisk with whole egg for egg wash
- 2 Tbsp. melted butter
- 1 each mashed roasted garlic clove
- l ½ Tbsp. wildflower honey
- 1/2 Tbsp. water
- 1/4 tsp. Everything bagel spice, to taste
- 1 Tbsp. Everything bagel spice
- 1 tsp. chopped chives
- 1 cup honey cheese butter, recipe follows
Ingredients for Honey Cheese Butter:
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tsp. wildflower honey
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, finely grated
- 1/4 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1/8 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp. granulated garlic
- 1/8 tsp. paprika
- to taste salt and pepper
- 1 tsp. chopped chives
- In a small mixing bowl, combine milk, honey, yeast and oil. Whisk together and set aside to allow yeast to work.
- Sift flour into a large mixing bowl or stand mixer with hook attachment, along with baking powder and salt.
- Slowly add in yeast mixture, mixing slowly until incorporated fully, and then knead with dough hook for 5-8 minutes, until dough becomes elastic. Adjust if dough becomes too sticky by adding more flour or adding a bit more milk if it becomes too dry.
- Tightly cover with a towel or plastic wrap and let rise for 1 hour or until dough has doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, mix together cream cheese, cheddar and mozzarella until incorporated. Set aside.
- Dust a cutting board or clean workspace with flour and turn dough out onto prepared surface. Portion dough into small balls.
- Roll each portion of dough to 1/4-inch thick and fill with a 1/2 teaspoon of the cheese mixture. Stretch the sides of the dough up around the cheese mixture and seal, pinching to close at the top. Repeat with remaining dough, holding under a damp towel so the dough doesn’t dry out.
- Generously grease a baking dish (or cast-iron). Tightly roll each dough piece to completely seal in filling.
- Place seam side down in prepared dish, arranging snugly into a “honeycomb” pattern so each dough ball forms a hexagonal shape. Cover and let rise for another 30-40 minutes until dough has risen.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Remove the towel and gently press down dough with a spoon or clean index finger to further create a hexagon/honeycomb shape.
- Liberally brush buns with egg wash, making sure to get into each crevice.
- Bake buns for 25-30 minutes until golden brown and cooked through, 190 F with thermometer.
- While the buns are baking, make the garlic honey glaze by combining the butter and roasted garlic paste into a pot and bringing to a simmer over medium-low heat. Cook until golden, stir frequently so that the garlic doesn’t burn.
- Drizzle honey, water and everything bagel spice. Reduce heat to low and stir to incorporate, cooking for another minute or two.
- Remove the buns from the oven and immediately brush with garlic honey glaze and sprinkle generously with everything bagel spice mixture.
- Unmold the cheesy beehive buns onto desired serving dish and sprinkle with chives. Place ramekin of honey cheese butter next to buns. Serve immediately.
- For Honey Cheese Butter: Melt butter in a small pot or saucepan over medium-low heat until golden brown. Stir in honey and remove from heat. Cool to room temperature. In a medium bowl, mix together remaining ingredients until smooth. Stir in cooled honey brown butter and season to taste with salt and pepper. Portion into a ramekin and garnish with chopped chives.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!