Anonymous “reader’s recipe.”
- 1/2 c. vegetable oil
- 1/4 c. chicken bouillon
- 3 c. onions, chopped
- 1-2 T. cumin
- 1-2 T. chili powder
- 1-2 T. garlic powder
- 2 heaping tsp. red pepper
- 2 c. Masa (harina)
- 4 qt. water
- 3 c. tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (16 oz.) package American cheese, cubed
- 3 c. cubed (or shredded) cooked chicken
- Tortilla Chips, crushed (opt.)
- In large pot, mix oil, chicken bouillon, onion, and spices.
- Saute onions 5 minutes.
- In medium bowl stir Masa and 1 quart water until lumps dissolve. (This will remove any raw Masa taste. If it doesn’t, add more spices to taste after the soup has simmered for awhile.)
- Add remaining 3 quarts water, chicken, and tomatoes; bring to a boil.
- Simmer at least 1/2 hr. Add cheese stirring until cheese melts.
- Serve with crushed tortilla chips.
1. Omit chicken
2. Use 8-10 slices American cheese and 8-10 slices Pepper Jack cheese
3. Use other types of pasteurized cheeses.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!