- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 2 cups broccoli (cut)
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme (dried, crushed)
- 2 bay leaves (small)
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper (optional)
- 1 cup non-fat milk
- 1 dash garlic powder (optional)
- In a saucepan combine chicken broth, chopped onion, broccoli, thyme, bay leaf and garlic powder.
- Bring mixture to boiling.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Place half of the mixture in a blender or food processor, cover and blend 30 to 60 seconds or until smooth.
- Pour into a bowl; repeat with remaining vegetable mixture, set all aside.
- In the same saucepan melt the margarine.
- Stir in flour, salt, and pepper.
- Add the milk all at once, stirring rapidly with a wire whisk.
- Cook and stir until mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in the blended broccoli mixture.
- Cook and stir until soup is heated through.
- Season to taste with additional salt and pepper.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!