Chicken Pot Pie
- 2 homemade pie crusts
- 4 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 6 Tbsp. butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas, do not thaw
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 1 egg, beaten for egg wash
- In a large stock pot, melt butter. Add diced onions and carrots and sauté 10 minutes over medium heat until soft.
- Add sliced mushrooms and minced garlic and sauté another 5 minutes until mushrooms are softened.
- Add flour and stir constantly for 2 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and heavy cream and then bring to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes or until mixture is a thick consistency. Add salt and pepper, or season to taste. It should be well-seasoned.
- Add shredded cooked chicken, frozen peas and parsley. Stir to combine; remove from heat and cool slightly while you roll out the crusts.
- Roll one chilled pie crust disk into a 12-inch circle. Carefully transfer it into a 9-inch pie dish.
- Spoon the pie filling over the bottom crust.
- Roll the second disk of pie dough into a 10-inch circle and place over the pie filling. Fold the excess dough behind the bottom crust and crimp the pie crusts together to seal. Use a sharp paring knife to cut small slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
- Brush the top of the crust with the beaten egg and sprinkle lightly with coarse salt and pepper.
- Bake at 425 F for 30-35 minutes or until the top crust is golden brown. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!