- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 3/4 sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (6 oz.) pkg. semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons confectioners? sugar, sifted
- 3 tablespoons milk
- gold petal dust (available at gourmet food stores) to decorate
Preheat oven to 300°. For cookies, cream butter and sugar in large bowl until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; beat until smooth. Stir in chocolate chips. Sift flour, cinnamon and salt into medium bowl. Add dry ingredients to chocolate mixture; knead until soft dough forms. On lightly floured surface, use floured rolling pin to roll out dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Use 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 inch star-shaped cookie cutters to cut out cookies. Transfer to greased baking sheet. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until firm. Transfer cookies to wire rack to cool completely.
For icing, combine sugar and milk in medium bowl until smooth. Ice cookies to be eaten; allow icing to harden.
For decorated coolies, use small paintbrush to lightly apply petal dust to cookies. Store in airtight container. Makes about 7 dozen cookies.
These crisp shortbread cookies can also be brushed with gold and used as decorations.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!