- 1 gallon large cucumbers, sliced 1/4-inch thick and seeded to form rings
- 1 cup lime
- Water to cover
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon alum
- 1 cup white vinegar
- Red hot sauce:
- 2 cups vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 7 cups sugar
- 1 cup red hot candies
- 4 sticks cinnamon
- Add lime to sliced cucumbers with water to cover.
- Let stand 24 hours.
- Rinse cucumbers and let stand 3 hours in cold water to cover with ice added.
- Place cucumber rings in a large pot.
- Add 1 teaspoon red food coloring, 1 teaspoon alum, 1 cup vinegar and enough water to cover the cucumbers; stir gently to distribute coloring evenly.
- Bring to a simmer; do not boil.
- Simmer 2 hours.
- While cucumbers simmer, make red hot syrup by mixing 2 cups vinegar, water, sugar, red hots and cinnamon sticks.
- Heat until candy dissolves.
- Drain cucumbers, pour syrup over pickles and let stand overnight.
- Next morning, heat cucumbers and syrup to a simmer then pack into hot, sterile jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace in each jar.
- Remove air bubbles.
- Adjust 2-piece caps.
- Process 15 minutes in a boiling water canner.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date agriculture news in your inbox!